Disclosure: Tech Daily is reader-supported. If you click-through, make a purchase or sign up for a service through our links, we may earn a commission or fee (at no cost to you). Learn more.
With the increase in subscription video services, sometimes you can lose track of just how many you subscribe to, but when the monthly bills roll around, you realize you bit off more than you can chew with subscription signups. Free trials and discounted periods can get out of hand when you give in to every single one you see.
Luckily, we’re here to help you. If you have signed up for Prime Video and do not want to pay the annual or monthly fee anymore, or you realize the service is not for you, you can cancel it.
Keep reading to see how.
Steps To Cancel Prime Video
Although you cannot cancel Prime Video without canceling Prime, we’ve compiled a list explaining how to cancel channels associated with Prime Video and how to cancel the Amazon Prime membership.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to cancel Amazon Prime Video.
Log In Before You Cancel
- The first step in canceling Prime Video is to navigate to Amazon’s website. Type in https://www.amazon.com/ on the device of your choosing and wait for the server to load.
- When the website loads, the interface boasts a menu across the entire top portion of the screen. It starts with three parallel lines that open a bigger menu entitled ‘all,’ and ends with a Music section. On the right side, there are three buttons above this long dashboard. From left to right, the options read ‘Language, Sign-in, Returns, and cart.
- When you sign up for an Amazon Prime Video account, you create an Amazon account. Toggle over to the arrow next to the Hello, Sign in button, and a drop-down menu will pop up. Click on the yellow sign-in button. Your account will have a username and a password you created for the account. Log in with your said credentials.
Cancel Prime Account – Method One
After the login goes through, there are a few ways you can navigate to your prime account to cancel.
- You can toggle to the gray drop-down bar on the left side of the white search bar, hover over the arrow, and wait for the drop-down menu to come up.
- A bunch of categories will pop up. Scroll down until you find Prime Video. It is about three-quarters down on the menu.
- Click Prime video, and the gray drop-down menu will change from saying ‘All’ to ‘Prime Video.’
- This will show the search bar in a highlighted font. Press enter again.
- Pressing enter takes you to a home screen filled with Prime Video options to rent, purchase, or stream.
- Above the list of media, you will see a few options from left to right that read, ‘Home, Store, Channels’ on the left and ‘Settings, Getting Started, Help’ on the right.
- Click on the settings button, and a new screen detailing your Prime Membership and your payment settings pops up.
- This menu is under ‘Your Account.’ Next to that is a tab that reads, ‘Channels and then Channel Invoices.’ Click on ‘Channels.’
- This tab shows you your Prime Membership and the channels you have subscribed to, and how much their monthly fee totals.
- Choose to cancel the channel.
- When you select ‘Cancel Channel,’ you will have service until your next scheduled bill date. When your next scheduled bill date arrives, you won’t be charged, and you will no longer be able to watch Prime Video.
Cancel Prime Account – Method Two
Another way to cancel Prime Video is by clicking the drop-down menu that lists your name. The section on the left side under your name is ‘Your Account.’ Below the ‘Your Account’ heading, click on ‘Account.’ The cursor will change the font from black to orange.
- When your account loads, you will see a screen filled with different options such as ‘orders, Login, Security, Your Payments, Your Profiles,’ etc. Below the icons with pictures and text, you will see seven lists with different information.
- Scroll to the second box in the middle of the first row. It reads, ‘Digital content and devices.’ The fifth option is ‘Prime Video Settings.’ You can also get to this screen by clicking on ‘Prime Video Channels’ underneath the third box on the right in the top row: ‘Memberships and Subscriptions.’ The second option below the bold font is ‘Prime Video Channels.’
- Click on ‘Prime Video Settings.’
- When that loads, you will be on the ‘Account and Menu’ screen.
- Click on the second tab, ‘Channels’, below ‘Account and Settings.’ Follow steps h-j listed above.
Cancel Prime Account – Method Three
The other way to cancel your Amazon Prime Video membership is to cancel your Prime membership. Since Amazon Prime Video comes with an Amazon Prime account, canceling the whole membership cancels both services.
- Visit Amazon’s website and log in to your account. Once the home screen loads, Scroll to the near bottom of the homepage. Near the bottom of the home screen is a dark blue section that reads, ‘Back to top.’ Underneath that font is four sections, ‘Get to Know Us, Make Money With Us, Amazon Payment Products, and Let Us Help You.’ The ‘Let Us Help You’ section is the fourth and final section on this screen and the one you need to toggle over.
- The final selection, or the tenth option, reads, ‘Help.’ Click it.
- Once that loads, you will be taken to a teal-colored page with nine various icons and text. Click the middle option in the second row or the fifth option when reading left to right. It says, ‘Membership, Subscriptions, or Communications.’
- Click the second option, ‘Other Memberships and Subscriptions.’ That will redirect you to a separate page with a few options: ‘Manage Memberships and Subscriptions, or I need more help.’ Click the large white button that says ‘Manage Memberships and Subscriptions.’
- Once you click that option, a new tab opens detailing all of your memberships and subscriptions. It will state what Amazon Prime package you currently subscribe to, how much you pay annually, or monthly, and any additional channel subscriptions you have linked to that account.
- Click on ‘Prime Membership Settings,’ a slim gray box on the right side of the information relating to your Prime membership.
- You will now see a row of options at the top of your screen with a gray background. Your name, plan, renewal date, and the option to manage your membership come up.
- Click on the furthest option to the right, the ‘Manage’ button. Below the manage font, you will see text that reads, ‘Update, cancel, and more’ with an arrow on the right side of those words. Click on the text or the arrow for the drop-down menu.
- Three options pop up in the drop-down menu. An option to share your benefits that allows you to give friends and family access to your account, a box to have Amazon remind you when your subscription will renew, and an option to end your membership.
- Click on ‘End Membership.’
- Once you click on the end membership button, a screen explaining what your membership entails and all the reasons not to cancel comes up. Below all the benefits, three yellow buttons appear. ‘Remind Me Later’- alerts Amazon to give you an update before your membership renews, the middle option, ‘I Do Not Want My Benefits,’ what to click when you are certain you want to cancel your subscription, and the option on the right side, if you decide last minute to keep your membership, ‘I Want to Keep My Benefits.’
- If you’ve made up your decision and you are certain you want to cancel, click the middle button, I Do Not Want My Benefits.’ This will prompt you to a final screen before canceling the subscription for good.
- The last screen asks if you want to change your billing cycle to a monthly payment plan and keep your subscription active.
- Select ‘Continue to Cancel.’
- You’ve successfully canceled your Amazon Prime subscription and with it, your Amazon Prime Video subscription.
People Also Ask
What Happens If I Cancel Prime Video?
If you cancel Prime Video, you won’t be able to watch content available to its subscribers, and you won’t be able to rent or purchase movies through its server. You can continue to watch Prime Video content until your next billed subscription date, but once that date passes, you will no longer be charged for your Prime Video subscription.
Can You Cancel Prime Video But Keep Prime?
No. Amazon Prime and Amazon Prime Video coincide. If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, you automatically receive Amazon Prime Video with your payment. If you want to cancel Prime video, you will have to cancel your entire Prime membership.
On the contrary, if you wish to only purchase a Prime Video Subscription without a Prime membership, you can do so. You won’t receive access to Amazon Prime, but you can cancel the Prime Video membership on its own.
Whether you have an Amazon Prime membership or only enroll in an Amazon Prime Video monthly subscription, sometimes subscriptions can get messy and expensive. If you wish to cancel your Amazon Prime Video subscription but also have a Prime account, you will need to cancel the whole membership for the cancellation to register. If you just have a video account, you can cancel it without a Prime membership.
Will you cancel or keep Prime Video?