Disclosure: Tech Daily is reader-supported. If you click-through, make a purchase or sign up for a service through our links, we may earn a commission or fee (at no cost to you). Learn more.
While there are many popular streaming services available that feature a wide range of entertainment and content, there are some subscription services that appeal to a more niche target audience. Shudder is one good example of this.
Shudder offers a competitively low subscription fee in exchange for access to all of the horror-themed content you could hope to access. You can enjoy some of the best horror movies available any time you want with a Shudder subscription.
In this guide, you will find more information about Shudder, including the specific type of content you can expect to see and how much a Shudder subscription will cost you in Canada.
How Much Is Shudder In Canada?
Shudder has one solid plan that can be used in three different ways. We’ll lay out the different plans and how much they will cost. You can also see how Shudder fares against other competitors.
- Using the Shudder app on its own will cost $5.99 a month through monthly billing and $56.99 a year ($4.75 monthly) through an annual plan.
- Through the Amazon Prime Video channel, you can access Shudder for $5.99 a month.
- By using Shudder as an add-on application through YouTube TV, you will pay $5.00 a month.
- To access Shudder through AMC+, you will have to pay $8.99 a month.
Shudder Price Vs. Competitors
- Shudder comes out as the overall best-valued subscription service when compared to its competition with its $5.99 a month or $56.99 yearly plan (or $4.99 a month in Canada), along with a 7-day free trial. It has a content library of over 630 television shows and movies.
- Full Moon Features has a price of $6.99 a month, or $59.99 a year, with a 7-day free trial. It has a content library of over 500 television shows and movies.
- Arrow Player has a price of $6.99 a month, or $69.99 a year, with a 30-day free trial. It has a content library of over 600 television shows and movies.
- Monsters and Nightmares has a price of $2.99 a month, or $29.99 a year, with a 7-day free trial. It has a content library of over 86 television shows and movies.
- Scream box has a price of $4.99 a month, or $35.88 a year, with a 7-day free trial. It has a content library of over 400 television shows and movies.
- Netflix has three different subscription tiers: Basic, Standard, and Premium. Basic is $9.99 a month, Standard is $15.49 a month, and Premium is $19.99 a month.
- Disney Plus has a price of $7.99 a month, or $79.99 a year.
- Hulu has many different options to choose from when it comes to getting a subscription with them, along with add-ons that may change the price of your subscription. For Hulu with ads, you will be paying $6.99 a month or $69.99 a year. For Hulu with no ads, you will be paying $12.99 a month. For Hulu + Live TV, you will be paying $64.99 a month and $70.99 for no ads.
- With HBO Max, you will be paying $9.99 a month for no ads and $14.99 a month without ads.
- With Amazon Prime Video, you will be paying $8.99 for the standalone service, $14.99 a month (or $139.99 a year) with Prime, and have the option to include add-ons that may increase the price of your subscription.
Amongst the more horror-focused streaming sites, Shudder is superior in terms of both price and its content library. While the big and popular streaming services are an excellent source of all types of content, they tend to be more expensive and don’t cater to the horror genre as specifically as Shudder does.
There are also ways that you can access Shudder through other means: through Amazon Prime Video or YouTube TV. With Shudder added on to either of those streaming services, you could have more than one stream at a time, which definitely makes it worth your money.
Shudder Free Trial
Shudder’s annual billing method is one of the best deals that you can get. You could save about $15 a year, to be precise, and still have the full range of access to all of the content that Shudder can provide. Special promotions are pretty rare, but there is a 7-day free trial that you can try first before deciding if you want to commit for a longer period. You can enter your payment information, then try Shudder for the next week without any risks.
If you decide that you do not want to keep your subscription, you will be free to cancel it before the trial period ends and remove your payment information without having to worry about paying. That way, you can see all of the content it holds and watch what you need within that period.
What Is Shudder And How Do You Use It?
Shudder is a premium streaming service that was launched in 2015 and is owned and operated by AMC Networks. As of 2020, Shudder has achieved one million subscribers and has become one of the best-known places to access horror-themed content.
Shudder features thousands of different horror, thriller, and supernatural movies, podcasts, and television shows, making it the perfect streaming service for avid horror fans. They even have their own exclusive original content for you to enjoy.
You can subscribe to Shudder through the website or app or through other platforms. It is highly recommended that you sign up for Shudder directly, though. Shudder is currently available in the US, the UK, Canada, and Ireland.
Once you sign up for a Shudder subscription, you will be taken to the login screen, where you can enter your new information and access the main interface screen. The video will take a few moments to buffer, then it will play your pre-loaded video as long as you maintain a stable connection.
The main screen will list a variety of popular horror movies and television shows that you can easily navigate and choose from. You will also be able to access content by category, such as fan favorites, content made by certain directors, or starring certain actors. Furthermore, Shudder hosts three “channels” that will be able to deliver 24/7 content to you.
What Can You Find On Shudder?
Shudder operates with avid horror fans in mind. You can expect to see all types of horror-based content, such as psychological thrillers, indie horror, gory themes, and even PG horror. You can expect to find well-known movie titles like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Hellraiser, as well as television shows such as True Horror.
Do take note that you will have an easier time finding movies rather than television shows for the most part. Their original content is a nice added bonus if you want to find tv show content to watch. Overall, Shudder will hold a majority of the content that avid horror fans will want.
It is worth knowing that Shudder streams its titles live ad-free 24/7 on the Shudder TV section of the app. There are three different channels you can choose from: psychological thrillers, Slahics, and It Came From Shudder, which includes Shudder exclusives and originals.
However, there are some devices where you will not be able to change the channel, and it will just automatically stream whatever you were watching on the last device you used Shudder on.
Shudder is widely known for its amazing horror movie selection. They have practically everything, including gore/body horror, apocalypse flicks, horror comedies, slashers, and so much more.
Here are just a few of the movie titles that you can expect to see in Shudder’s content library:
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- The Babadook
- See For Me
- Prom Night and Prom Night II
- The Halloween movies
- What Keeps You Alive
- A Christmas Horror Story
- The Void
- Children of the Corn
- The Amityville Movies
- City of the Living Dead
- Creepshow (A Shudder Original)
- American Mary
- The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
- Dead & Beautiful
- The Last Matinee
- The Little Shop of Horrors
- The Deeper You Dig
- The Advent Calendar
- The Boy Behind the Door
- The Last Thing Mary Saw
- What Keeps You Alive
- The Hell House movies
- Nosferatu movies
- The Hills Have Eyes
- The Queen of Black Magic
- Last Ones Out
- Land of the Dead
- Silent Retreat
- The Banishing
Shudder also has content for some horror-based television shows, along with some original shows, that you can enjoy.
Here are some of the television shows that you can enjoy on Shudder:
- Firestarter: Rekindled
- True Horror
- Hammer House of Horror
- Elvira’s 40th Anniversary, Very Scary, Very Special, Special
- Deadhouse Dark
- The Core
- The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs
- Slasher: Flesh & Blood
- Blood Machines
- Todd & The Book of Pure Evil
- Deadly Manners
- The Boulet Brothers’ Dragula
- A Discovery of Witches
- Channel Zero
- The Walking Dead: World Beyond
- Dario Argento’s Door into Darkness
- Eli Roth’s History of Horror
Shudder even has a small selection of podcasts that you can enjoy if podcasts are more your style. A majority of them are Shudder exclusives and originals.
Here are the podcast titles that you can find on Shudder.
- Horror Noire Uncut
- Darkest Night
- Eli Roth’s History of Horror Uncut
- Video Palace
- She Kills
- Deadly Manners
Which Devices Can You Use Shudder On?
Shudder’s direct subscription services can be used on a variety of different streaming devices and platforms since it is a streaming video on demand (SVOD) service. As far as streaming platforms and devices go, you can access Shudder on Roku, Fire TVs, and Apple TVs.
Other devices include the Xbox One, in-browser apps, YouTube TV, iOS, Amazon Channels, and Android. Some Smart TVs may not be compatible with Shudder unless it is connected to a Roku or Fire TV device.
One downside about Shudder is that it can only stream on one device on one account at a time unless you use the Shudder add-on for YouTube TV, Amazon Prime, Roku, or Apple TV.
Another downside is that there is currently no way to download movies or television show episodes as of right now, and there is no support for offline streaming either.
How To Cancel Your Shudder Subscription
If you want to cancel your Shudder subscription, you can do it easily and just like you would cancel any other subscription service. The cancellation will go into effect by the time your final billing period occurs. You will pay the last subscription fee, and then you will not have to be charged again afterwards.
This may be fine if you choose to pay the monthly subscription, but you will still have to pay the one-time annual fee if you cancel it within that period. The cancellation process is also quite simple. Here is a quick walkthrough of how to cancel your subscription.
- If you signed up for Shudder online, go to the website, sign into your account, and you will find a section labeled “My Account.” Go to the membership settings and select “Cancel Membership.”
- If you signed up for Shudder through another device or service, you will have to cancel it through whichever method you used.
There is a customer service department on Shudder’s website that you can use in case you are having trouble canceling your subscription.
Overall, Shudder is an excellent and affordable service for avid horror fans. Horror fans have been wanting a platform that caters to them well, and Shudder has managed to create a successful service.
If you want to just watch horror movies or television shows without having to pay a hefty subscription fee for bigger and more expensive streaming services with lots of content that you are uninterested in, then Shudder is the place to go.
It is one of the best-valued subscription services amongst its competitors, and you will be able to use it risk-free for seven days before deciding whether or not you want to keep the subscription.