Candy is a 2022 true crime drama revolving around the real-life case of Candy Montgomery, who murdered her neighbor Betty Gore. The series stars Jessica Biel as Candy and Melanie Lynskey as Betty Gore, and it garnered multiple accolades and critical acclaim since its release earlier this year on Hulu.
Although it was released on Hulu in the US, if you live in Canada and want to indulge in the dramatic series, there are several ways to do so. This is a guide explaining exactly how to watch Candy in Canada.
Table of Contents
Hulu started in 2007 as a free subscription service offering users access to content a few hours after it aired on cable. For example, you could watch Thursday’s episode of Grey’s Anatomy on Friday morning.
Today, Disney and NBC own Hulu as a joint project and offer a monthly subscription fee to users. The ad-supported plan costs less than the ad-free, premium version.
Hulu subscriptions start at $6.99 a month or $69.99 a year for subscriptions with ads, and for a subscription without ads, the server asks for $12.99 a month. Since Candy exclusively streams on Hulu, and Hulu does not have a Canadian-based server, so you will need a VPN to watch Candy in Canada.
You’ll Need a VPN
VPNs or Virtual Private Networks conceal IP addresses to allow internet users to hide their online locations and protect their identities from hackers or data breaches. In regards to using a VPN to watch Candy, you can hide your IP address while setting your location to the US.
This not only gives you access to Hulu and other American-based websites, but you can also watch programs and surf the web without worrying about your data getting leaked or stolen. You can watch your true crime drama from the safety of your home.
Here are a few VPN options to use while watching Candy on Hulu.
This VPN was invented in the Netherlands in 2018 by Vytautas Kaziukonis. It protects sensitive digital information with a dedicated data leak detection and prevention system.
Surfshark is equipped with technology to allow private searches while masking your identity to protect you from hackers or the government. With this VPN, you can watch Candy without worrying about someone breaking into your encrypted system.
Surfshark operates under a super high-speed connection of 2×10 gigabits per second, meaning that it won’t buffer or lag as much as other VPNs which run at slower speeds. Surfshark has a monthly, yearly, or two-year contract for its subscribers to choose from and it offers users over 3,000 servers to choose from.
Surfshark offers a few plans to start:
- For a one-month purchase, you pay a monthly fee of $12.95
- For a one-year subscription, you pay $3.99 a month for 12 months
- For a two-year subscription, you pay $2.49 a month for 24 months
Peter Burchhardt and Dan Pomerantz founded this VPN service in the British Virgin Islands in 2009. It provides its subscribers with data encryption services and device protection on all tablets, phones, laptops, and computers.
Express VPN operates under high-speed connections of 135 megabits per second, and users can download content at 475 megabits per second, meaning this VPN is faster than Surfshark and has even less buffering and lagging than that VPN.
Payment options include:
- For a one-month subscription, pay $12.95 for service
- For a six-month subscription, pay $9.99 per month for service
- For a one-year subscription, pay $8.32 per month for service
Although this VPN is a bit pricey in regards to Surfshark and other VPNs, you receive high-speed connections, enhanced security measures, and identity protection with a plan. But, if you happen to hate the service, Express VPN provides its users with a 30-day money-back guarantee. No questions asked.
In Romania in 2011, Robert Knapp founded this VPN which is considered to be one of the best VPNs out there today because it lets users connect seven devices to the VPN and ensures lightning-quick connections.
In addition to the high-speed connections, it also uses an Open VPN and a WireGuard to enhance extreme security measures, and it uses a no-log policy which ensures the devices used with the VPN don’t track any sensitive information.
Using a no-log policy also prohibits hackers from accessing sensitive information like credit card information or private data. Hackers won’t find it easy to breach data with CyberGhost VPN, making it one of the safest and most secure VPNs on the market today.
CyberGhost provides users with a one-week free trial and a 14-day money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the service. This means that if you sign up for CyberGhost, you will get a one-week free trial without adding any of your payment information.
This happens to be the only VPN that doesn’t ask for a credit card with a free trial, so naturally, it stands out amongst other VPNs. It also reaches download speeds of up to 548 Megabits per second on average.
CyberGhost offers a few subscription plans:
- For a one-month subscription, pay $12.99 for service
- For a one-year subscription, pay $4.29 per month for service
- For a two-year subscription, pay $3.25 per month for service
- For a three-year subscription, pay $2.29 per month for service with three months of free service
NordVPN was invented in Panama in 2012 and permits users to browse the internet safely while masking their IP address from hackers and the government. The server also allows you to jump between locations while using the VPN, meaning if you want to move your location from the US to Japan, you can do that!
That way, you can consume data only available in Japan. With this VPN, hackers will have a difficult time seeing your browsing history and data, which makes it a great option to use when using Hulu to watch Candy.
You can use NordVPN on phones, routers, computers, and tablets. Plus, it comes with a 30-day free trial, and if satisfied with the service, you can enroll in one of the plans. If you despise NordVPN after using the one-month free trial, you can cancel with no questions asked.
Each plan under the NordVPN server has three options: standard, plus, and complete.
- For a complete two-year plan, you’ll pay $5.29 with three months of free service, malware protection, a tracker and blocker, a platform password manager, a data breach scanner, and encrypted cloud storage. For a one-year complete plan, you get all of that for $6.79 a month, and for a monthly subscription, you will get that plan for $14.99.
- The plus plan is $3.99 a month for two years, $5.49 a month for one year, and $12.99 a month for a monthly plan. You get everything included in the complete plan minus the cloud storage.
- The standard plan is $2.99 a month for a two-year plan, $4.49 a month for a one-year plan, and $11.99 for a one-month subscription. This plan comes with malware protection and a tracker and blocker as well as high-speed coverage.
How To Watch Candy On Hulu With a VPN:
- Download the app of your preferred VPN on your preferred device and make an account on the VPN. Hulu only works in the United States and Japan, so if you live in any country besides those two, you need to use a VPN to watch programs on that platform.
- Once you’ve picked your VPN and created your login, log in with your credentials and launch the home page.
- You will be redirected to a screen that allows you to set the country you want to set your device. Scroll down to the United States and click continue.
- When you set your location, you will now be able to access The U.S. version of Hulu.
- Close out the VPN app and toggle over to the Hulu app. If you do not yet have it downloaded, visit the app store and download the green and black icon that says ‘Hulu.’
- Launch the app.
- Log in to Hulu with your valid credentials or make a new account with an email address and password.
- Once you log in, you can toggle your mouse to the top right of the screen. You should see a magnifying glass or a search bar icon. Click on it and type in Candy.
- Click on the show and enjoy the slow burn of this psychological piece.
2. Disney Plus
The other option to watch Candy in Canada is Disney Plus. Disney Plus is new to the streaming universe as it came out in November 2019, but since its foundation, it has garnered millions of subscribers. It has original content, Pixar movies, Disney Channel Original movies, and shows, as well as shows that belong to Fox, Hulu, and other staple cable channels.
Disney Plus is available on all devices, tablets, computers, and SmartTVs. The only device you cannot watch Disney Plus on is a Nintendo Switch. Since Disney Plus hosts content from Hulu, Candy is one of the shows posted onto the server for users to enjoy.
All other devices are open game, and you can download content and cast it to a tv if you choose to watch Candy at a later time or when you do not have an internet connection.
Disney Plus does not have any ads, which makes it an increasingly popular service for the $7.99 a month or $79.99 a year it asks from users.
Disney Plus gets confused as a service only targeted toward kids, but with the addition of Candy and other titles in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Fox and Hulu, we can see that it is moving away from a kid’s centered station and starting to host content targeted toward everyone.
To Watch Candy On Disney Plus
- Open the app store and type in Disney Plus. The icon is blue with white font that reads Disney. There is a shooting star depiction above the font that ends in a plus sign near the y in Disney.
- Click, download, and install this icon.
- Create an account or log in to your already existing account.
- Once you’ve logged in, visit the home screen and click on the search bar icon. The search bar is the second tab at the top of the screen. It is a white magnifying glass in between the home and the watchlist icon.
- Click on it and type in Candy.
- Select search, and wait for the true crime drama to pop up.
To watch the riveting crime drama Candy in Canada, you can use Hulu with a VPN or Disney Plus without a VPN.
The choice is up to you!