“Godzilla Minus One” is a 2023 Japanese epic kaiju film and the 37th movie in the “Godzilla” franchise. The movie depicts Japan recovering from the events of World War II while the titular predatory creature looms ahead to inflict unimaginable destruction. With its cutting-edge visual effects and emotional exploration of war trauma, “Godzilla Minus One” makes a standout addition to the “Godzilla” franchise. “Godzilla Minus One” achieved a landmark feat by earning a Best Visual Effects nomination at the prestigious Academy Awards, making it the first Godzilla film to receive an Oscar nod and the first Japanese film to be recognized for that category.
“Godzilla Minus One” is yet to be available on streaming services in Canada. But don’t worry, viewers can expect “Godzilla Minus One” to be released on Max later in 2024, due to an existing licensing deal between Toho Studios, the film’s distributor, and Warner Bros.
Viewers in Canada will have to subscribe to a VPN to access Max since it is only available in the US and other European regions due to geo-restrictions.
For now, you can still catch “Godzilla Minus One” in theaters in Canada, like the Landmark Cinemas.
In this article, we will discuss Max’s features and prices to help you determine if it fits your streaming needs once “Godzilla Minus One” is finally released on Max.
“Godzilla Minus One” will most likely be released on Max, due to a licensing deal between Warner Bros. and Toho Studios.
Max supports plenty of devices, such as iOS and Android mobile phones, smart TVs, computers, laptops, tablets, set-top boxes, and gaming consoles like the Xbox series and Sony PlayStation. You can avail of a Max free trial if you subscribe to it as an add-on on Prime Video or Hulu.
But Max is only accessible in the US and some European territories, so you must use a VPN to access Max in Canada.
How to Watch “Godzilla Minus One” On Max In Canada
You can only watch “Godzilla Minus One” on Max in Canada by using a VPN service:
- Subscribe to a VPN service. (ExpressVPN is our #1 recommendation)
- Download and install the VPN app on your preferred device.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Open the Max website or app, then sign up for an account.
- Prepare a US-issued form of payment. Max accepts credit/debit cards (Discover, Visa, Mastercard, American Express) and PayPal.
- Search for “Godzilla Minus One” in its library, hit play, and start streaming.
Tip: A VPN has plenty of other uses besides bypassing geo-restrictions. You can also use it to mask your IP address by encrypting your data, protect your online activities by blocking malicious tracking entities, and ensuring a secure connection when using public Wi-Fi networks.
The use of VPNs is completely legal in Canada, but it can be tricky to unblock Max’s advanced geo-restrictions on areas outside the US. Fortunately, ExpressVPN, our no. 1 VPN recommendation, has proven to be a secure and effective tool in bypassing Max’s geo-restrictions in Canada.
On ExpressVPN, you are automatically eligible for a 30-day risk-free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee, if you click the link below:
Once “Godzilla Minus One” is available for streaming, you can watch it on Max by signing up for an account and subscribing to any of its membership plans below:
|Number of downloads
|HD to 4K
What Is Godzilla Minus One About?
“Godzilla Minus One” is set in Japan after World War II. The story follows Shikishima, a former kamikaze pilot still recovering from the war, and his previous frightening encounter with Godzilla, a predatory, dinosaur-like creature. Meanwhile, in the United States, a nuclear test unintentionally turned Godzilla into a larger and nearly impossible-to-kill monster. After wreaking havoc in the US, Godzilla heads to Japan. Shikishima, now a minesweeper, is tasked with stopping Godzilla’s arrival in the country by detonating mines in its mouth. Throughout the film, Shikishima and the other characters tirelessly utilize every resource possible to defeat Godzilla, only for the monster to regenerate and grow stronger.
Who Directed Godzilla Minus One?
Takashi Yamazaki, a Japanese filmmaker known for his visual effects style, directed and wrote “Godzilla Minus One.” The movie is produced under Toho Studios and Robot Communications. Toho Studios also handles the movie’s distribution.
Who Are in the Cast of Godzilla Minus One?
The film features an ensemble cast of prominent Japanese actors, which includes Ryunosuke Kamiki and Minami Hamabe. Here’s the main cast of “Godzilla Minus One”:
- Ryunosuke Kamiki as Kōichi Shikishima
- Minami Hamabe as Noriko Ōishi
- Yuki Yamada as Shirō Mizushima
- Munetaka Aoki as Sōsaku Tachibana
- Hidetaka Yoshioka as Kenji Noda
- Sakura Ando as Sumiko Ōta
- Kuranosuke Sasaki as Yōji Akitsu
- Mio Tanaka as Tatsuo Hotta
- Yuya Endo as Tadayuki Saitō
- Kisuke Iida as Akio Itagaki
- Sae Nagatani as Akiko
Who Are the Main Characters of Godzilla Minus One?
The main characters of “Godzilla Minus One” are:
- Kōichi Shikishima – A former kamikaze pilot who had a previous fatal encounter with Godzilla.
- Noriko Ōishi – A young thief with an infant determined to survive Godzilla’s wrath.
- Dr. Kenji Noda – A scientist tasked to develop a weapon to defeat Godzilla.
Why Is Godzilla Minus One So Popular?
“Godzilla Minus One” gained popularity among worldwide viewers due to its already-established fanbase which greatly contributed to the show’s overall hype and appeal. Although “Godzilla Minus One” retains similar elements from the other “Godzilla” films, it stands out due to its exploration of real-world issues like war, trauma, and environmental destruction, adding depth to its narrative and resonating with audiences seeking a well-crafted story and not just giant monster action. Its realistic and highly detailed visual effects also captivate audiences, making an immersive viewing experience.
What Do Critics Say About Godzilla Minus One?
Critics hold “Godzilla Minus One” in high regard for Yamazaki’s top-notch special effects and direction, as well as for the film’s underlying social commentary and character-driven plot.
“Godzilla Minus One” is Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes with an approval rating of 97%. See what critics are saying about the movie:
- “A rousing, spectacle-filled blockbuster, Godzilla: Minus One takes the king of the monsters back to his roots in post-WWII Japan. The story is character-driven, but the monster scenes are exciting and effective.” — IGN Movies
- “Yamazaki’s take on Godzilla is classical, utilizing the giant kaiju as a metaphor for social commentary, and his aesthetic take is classical as well, combining a retro 1940s style with cutting-edge visual effects.” — Tribune News Service