“The Lord of the Rings” is a fantasy film trilogy based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s epic novel series of the same name. The story centers on the adventures of the hobbit Frodo Baggins as he and the Fellowship embark on a quest to destroy the One Ring, a powerful artifact created by the Dark Lord Sauron. “The Lord of the Rings” film series comprises three movies: “The Fellowship of the Ring,” “The Two Towers,” and “The Return of the King.” With its epic fantasy realm, iconic characters, visually striking cinematography, stellar cast performances, and universal themes of the battle between good and evil, “The Lord of the Rings” franchise swiftly amassed a dedicated fanbase and achieved critical acclaim. Although the films were released from 2001 to 2003, the influence of “The Lord of the Rings” on pop culture and cinema remains strong, as it continues to spawn equally successful companion pieces, such as “The Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power” and “The Hobbit” trilogy.
Viewers in Canada can stream the “The Lord of the Rings” movies on subscription-based streaming services like Max and Crave. However, do take note that some platforms, like Max, are geo-restricted in Canada, so you must use a VPN to access them.
Before you join Frodo and embark on an epic adventure in the fantasy land of Middle-earth, we will give you a comprehensive guide on all the streaming options where you can watch “The Lord of The Rings” trilogy in Canada.
Table of Contents
Max, formerly known as HBO Max, is the subscription-based streaming service owned and operated by Warner Bros. Discovery. It boasts an extensive content library that includes TV shows and movies from reputable studios like HBO, Warner Bros., Discovery Channel, and more.
Max supports various devices such as smartphones, smart TVs, computers, laptops, tablets, media players, and even game consoles like Xbox and PlayStation. Unfortunately, Max no longer offers a free trial since its relaunch.
“The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, as well as its extended editions, are all available to stream on Max in 4K. However, Max is only available in the US and other European territories, so you must use a VPN to access Max in Canada.
How to Watch “The Lord of the Rings” Movies on Max in Canada
The only way to watch “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy on Max in Canada is by using a VPN service:
- Subscribe to a VPN service. (ExpressVPN is our #1 recommendation)
- Download and install the VPN app on your preferred device.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Open the Max website or app, then sign up for an account.
- Prepare a US-issued form of payment. Max accepts debit and credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover), as well as PayPal.
- Once registered, search for “The Lord of the Rings” in its library, hit play, and start streaming.
Tip: A VPN bypasses geo-restrictions, improves online security by encrypting data, hides IP addresses, ensures secure browsing on public Wi-Fi networks, and can even give you discounted deals on certain online purchases.
While VPNs are legal in Canada, it can be challenging to bypass Max’s geo-restrictions in regions outside the US. But ExpressVPN, our top VPN recommendation, has proven to be a safe and reliable tool in seamlessly bypassing Max’s geo-restrictions in Canada.
With ExpressVPN, you get a 30-day risk-free trial with a 30-day money-back guarantee if you use the link below:
To watch all movies from “The Lord of the Rings” franchise on Max, sign up for an account and subscribe to any of the following monthly plans:
|Number of downloads
|HD to 4K
Crave is a Canadian on-demand streaming platform owned and operated by Bell Media. Crave’s content library includes thousands of TV shows and movies from networks like HBO, Showtime, STARZ, and more.
Devices like smartphones, smart TVs, computers, tablets, media players, and even game consoles like Xbox and PlayStation, are all supported on Crave. Crave also offers a 7-day free trial for new subscribers.
The complete “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy is available to stream on Crave in 4K. The films are also available in English and French audio.
To watch “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy on Crave, sign up for an account and choose any of the following membership plans:
|Basic with ads
|Standard with ads
What Is the Best Streaming Option to Watch The Lord of the Rings in Canada?
The best streaming service to watch “The Lord of the Rings” in Canada is Max. Although Max shares the same price range as Crave, we believe Max is the superior streaming option. On Max, you can stream the extended versions of the “Lord of the Rings” movies in 4K video resolution, which guarantees an engaging fan experience. Max also allows up to four simultaneous streams, perfect for users sharing their accounts with friends and family. If you’re always on the go and do not have instant access to the Internet, Max gives you the option to download a maximum of 100 titles to your device. Aside from that, Max has one of the biggest content libraries among its competitors. On Max, you can enjoy other fantasy epics such as “The Wizard of Oz,” “Harry Potter,” “Kiki’s Delivery Service,” and more.
What Are The Lord of the Rings Movies About?
Set in the fantastical landscapes of Middle-earth, the story of “The Lord of the Rings” begins with Frodo Baggins, a hobbit, and his journey to find and destroy the One Ring, a powerful and evil artifact created by the Dark Lord Sauron. He is joined by the Fellowship of the Ring, which includes characters like Legolas, Boromir, Gandalf, and more. Together, they join forces to stop Sauron from wreaking havoc in Middle-earth. The story explores overarching themes of the struggle between good and evil, friendship, bravery, and sacrifices.
Who Directed The Lord of the Rings Movies?
The New Zealand filmmaker and screenwriter directed the “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy. Jackson is also the fourth highest-grossing director of all time. The film is produced under WingNut Films and New Line Cinema.
Who Are in the Cast of The Lord of the Rings Movies?
The cast of “The Lord of the Rings” features an ensemble of talented and famous actors, including:
- Elijah Wood as Frodo Baggins
- Ian McKellen as Gandalf
- Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn
- Sean Astin as Samwise Gamgee
- Orlando Bloom as Legolas
- John Rhys-Davies as Gimli
- Billy Boyd as Peregrin Took (Pippin)
- Dominic Monaghan as Meriadoc Brandybuck (Merry)
- Sean Bean as Boromir
- Liv Tyler as Arwen
- Cate Blanchett as Galadriel
Who Are the Main Characters of The Lord of the Rings Movies?
The main characters of “The Lord of the Rings” are:
- Frodo Baggins – A hobbit and the Ring-bearer tasked with destroying the One Ring and Sauron.
- Samwise Gamgee – Frodo’s loyal friend who accompanies him on his journey.
- Aragorn / Strider – A skilled ranger and the rightful heir to the throne of Gondor. He leads the Fellowship in the battle against Sauron.
- Gandalf – A powerful and wise wizard who provides magic and assistance to the Fellowship.
- Legolas – An elven price known for his exceptional marksmanship skills.
Why Are The Lord of the Rings Movies So Popular?
“The Lord of the Rings” achieved immense popularity due to its faithfulness to its source material, cinematic excellence, and its universal, relatable themes. The film resonated well with audiences for impeccably capturing the epic fantasy world, characters, and overarching themes in the original Tolkien novels. Another pivotal contributor to the film’s success is its stunning cinematography, which showcased the picturesque landscapes of New Zealand as Middle-earth, adding a more immersive feel to the movies. More importantly, despite being a fantasy epic, the film explored various universal, human themes, such as sacrifices, friendship, and the struggle between good and evil, which resonated with broad audiences on a deep and emotional level.
What Do Critics Say About The Lord of the Rings?
“The Lord of the Rings” films received generally positive reviews from critics. The movies are praised mostly for Jackson’s direction and its visually striking cinematography. “The Lord of the Rings” films are also the recipient of 11 Academy Awards.
“The Lord of the Rings” holds a Certified Fresh approval rating of 91% on Rotten Tomatoes. See why critics applaud the film:
- “The New Zealander director Peter Jackson, who wrote the screenplay with Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, works with enough dramatic tension and pictorial grandeur to sustain us through long periods of complicated exposition and heavy bouts of swordplay.” – New Yorker
- “Masterfully paced, the movie builds slowly, introducing the mythology, habitats and lifestyles of Tolkien’s creatures.” – Associated Press
How Many Movies Are There in The Lord of the Lord of the Rings Film Series?
There are three movies in “The Lord of the Rings” franchise, including:
- “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring” (2001) – The inaugural film introduces the Fellowship and sets the stage for the quest to destroy the One Ring.
- “The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers” (2002) – The Fellowship becomes divided as they each face their own challenges while forces of evil continue to rise.
- “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King” (2003) – The final battle against good and evil culminates at Middle-earth, concluding each character’s journey.
The Lord of the Rings Fans and Community
Be a part of the Fellowship with “The Lord of the Rings” inspired merchandise such as clothing, accessories, banners, posters, phone cases, and more, all available for purchase at the Warner Bros. Shop.
You can also opt for affordable and fan-made alternatives on Amazon if you’re on a budget.