“Maestro” is a 2023 American biographical film from Netflix. The movie is fronted and directed by Bradley Cooper, who delivers a nuanced yet electrifying performance as the legendary American conductor, Leonard Bernstein. “Maestro” closely explores Bernstein’s musical career and his passionate romance with the actress Felicia Montealegre, as well as his struggles with his sexuality and substance abuse. Through Bradley Cooper’s exceptional work both in front and behind the camera, “Maestro” already received four major nods at the 81st Golden Globe Awards and is projected as a prominent contender in the upcoming Academy Awards.
Viewers in Canada can stream “Maestro” on subscription-based streaming services like Netflix.
In this article, we will give you a comprehensive guide on how you can watch “Maestro” on streaming platforms in Canada.
Table of Contents
Netflix is a subscription-based on-demand streaming service with over 200 million subscribers worldwide. It boasts one of the biggest streaming libraries of original content, movies, TV shows, and more. Netflix is also known for its cutting-edge and user-friendly interface.
Netflix is compatible with devices like smartphones, smart TVs, PCs, laptops, tablets, game consoles, and media players like Chromecast and Roku. You can also download your favorite Netflix content to your devices for offline streaming with a Premium and Standard plan.
“Maestro” is available to stream on Netflix in HD with Audio Description (AD) and Closed Caption (CC) features that include more than 10 languages, such as French, German, Italian, and Spanish. Netflix also serves as the film’s exclusive streaming home.
To stream “Maestro” on Netflix, register for an account and subscribe to any of the following plans:
|Number of simultaneous screens
|Basic with ads
What Is the Best Streaming Option to Watch Maestro in Canada?
The best streaming option to watch “Maestro” in Canada is Netflix. On Netflix, you can stream “Maestro” in an HD video resolution. Inclusive features like Audio Description (AD) and Closed Caption (CC) are also available for viewers with vision and hearing disabilities. Netflix also boasts one of the most sophisticated and user-friendly interfaces that provides a smoother and enhanced streaming experience. It also has the second-biggest content library, which includes other critically acclaimed films like “The Irishman,” “The Wolf of Wall Street,” and “Pulp Fiction” to name a few.
What Is Maestro About?
“Maestro” chronicles the long-standing passionate romance between the American musical prodigy Leonard Bernstein and the Costa Rican-Chilean actress Felicia Montealegre. The film explores the troubled reality behind Bernstein’s genius as he struggles with extramarital affairs with men, substance abuse, and sexual identity that will ultimately change the trajectory of his respected career and his relationship with his wife and children.
Who Are the Creators of Maestro?
The creators of “Maestro” are Bradley Cooper and Josh Singer. Bradley Cooper also co-produced the film with Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg, Fred Berner, Amy Durning, and Kristie Macosko Krieger. “Maestro” is produced under Sikelia Productions, Amblin Entertainment, Lea Pictures, and Fred Berner Films, while Netflix handles its distribution.
Who Are in the Cast of Maestro?
The cast of “Maestro” features Hollywood heavyweights like Bradley Cooper and Carey Mulligan. Here’s the main cast of the film:
- Bradley Cooper as Leonard Bernstein
- Carey Mulligan as Felicia Montealegre
- Matt Bomer as David Oppenheim
- Maya Hawke as Jamie Bernstein
- Sarah Silverman as Shirley Bernstein
- Vincenzo Amato as Bruno Zirato
- Greg Hildreth as Isaac
- Michael Urie as Jerry Robbins
- Brian Klugman as Aaron Copland
- Nick Blaemire as Adolph Green
- Mallory Portnoy as Betty Comden
- Yasen Peyankov as Serge Koussevitzky
- Zachary Booth as Mendy Wager
- Miriam Shor as Cynthia O’Neal
- Gideon Glick as Tommy Cothran
- Josh Hamilton as John Gruen
- June Gable as Old Lady
- Alexa Swinton as Nina Bernstein
Who Are the Main Characters of Maestro?
The main characters of “Maestro” are based on real-life figures, such as:
- Leonard Bernstein – An award-winning American conductor who falls in love with the aspiring actress Felicia Montealegre while in a relationship with a fellow male musician.
- Felicia Montealegre – A Costa Rican-Chilean actress who would later on become Berntein’s wife.
- David Oppenheim – An American music producer. Oppenheim is also Bernstein’s longtime best friend, though many believed that the pair engaged in a romantic affair.
- Jamie Bernstein – Felicia and Leonard’s oldest daughter who suspects her father of having affairs with men.
Why Is Maestro So Popular?
“Maestro” achieved popularity and critical acclaim thanks to Bradley Cooper’s exhilarating performance as Leonard Bernstein, as well as his adept role as its director and writer. Another contributor to the film’s success is its sensitive yet honest portrayal of sexual identity and queer relationships. The film’s ability to capture Bernstein’s artistic brilliance by recreating electrifying musical performances also earned critical acclaim, making “Maestro” a compelling and cinematic experience.
What Do Critics Say About Maestro?
“Maestro” received generally positive reviews from critics mainly due to Bradley Cooper’s compelling performance and direction. Critics also praised Carey Mulligan’s equally outstanding portrayal of Felicia Montealegre.
“Maestro” debuts with a Certified Fresh rating of 79% on Rotten Tomatoes. See what critics have to say about the film:
- “Maestro comes alive as Cooper, who also co-wrote the screenplay, filters Bernstein’s passion for life and all its grand indulgences into an intensely physical performance, which peaks in a sweat-drenched conducting sequence that bursts off the screen.” — Detroit News
- “What Cooper and Mulligan are doing here is extraordinary, delivering exquisitely stylized performances, as big as the screen they’re projected on.” — Austin Chronicle