“Matilda” is a heartwarming comedy about a brilliant young girl with magical powers who stands up against oppressive adults and discovers the true meaning of family and empowerment.
Read on to find out where to watch “Matilda” in Canada and join her extraordinary journey as she uses her magical powers to take on a tyrannical headmistress.
Table of Contents
What Is Matilda About?
“Matilda” is a charming tale about a bright young girl, Matilda Wormwood, who uncovers her magical powers amidst the challenges of her troubled childhood. Born into a neglectful family, Matilda finds comfort in books and teaching herself to read early on. At six, she enters Crunchem Hall Elementary, ruled by the cruel headmistress, Agatha Trunchbull, who subjects students to harsh punishments.
Discovering her telekinetic powers, Matilda decides to use them for good, protecting her friends and standing up against injustice. With the support of her kind teacher, Miss Jennifer Honey, Matilda challenges the mistreatment of children in the school. Her bravery inspires others to join her, leading to humorous and uplifting moments that transform the school’s atmosphere.
Throughout the magical journey, Matilda also yearns for a loving family, as her parents Harry and Zinnia Wormwood are indifferent to her and her brother, Michael. The story beautifully weaves her pursuit of a caring home with her extraordinary abilities. “Matilda” captivates readers with its whimsical narrative, showcasing the power of kindness and standing up for what’s right in the face of adversity.
“Matilda” hit theaters in August 1996.
Who Are in the Cast and Production of Matilda?
Danny DeVito directed the film “Matilda,” a heartwarming family comedy based on Roald Dahl’s beloved children’s novel. DeVito is also known for acting in films like “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” and “Batman Returns.” Here’s the cast of “Matilda”:
- Mara Wilson as Matilda Wormwood
- Danny DeVito as Harry Wormwood
- Rhea Perlman as Zinnia Wormwood
- Embeth Davidtz as Miss Jennifer Honey
- Pam Ferris as Agatha Trunchbull
- Brian Levinson as Michael Wormwood
- Paul Reubens as FBI Agent Bob
- Tracey Walter as FBI Agent Bill
- Jacqueline Steiger as Amanda Thripp
- Kiami Davael as Lavender
- Sara Magdalin as Matilda’s Teacher
- Jean Speegle Howard as Miss Phelps
- Marion Dugan as Cookie
- Fred Parnes as Millionaire
- Kira Spencer Hesser as Hortensia
- Jimmy Karz as Bruce Bogtrotter
What is the Rating for Matilda?
“Matilda” is rated G in Canada. A G rating indicates that the film suits all ages.
How Many People Watch Matilda?
“Matilda” was released in 1996 and received positive reviews from critics and audiences. It performed well at the box office and has since become a beloved family film, enjoyed by many over the years through various home media releases and television airings.
How Are the Reviews for Matilda?
Critics generally praised “Matilda” for its heartwarming story, excellent performances, and faithful adaptation of Roald Dahl’s beloved novel, with particular praise for Mara Wilson’s endearing portrayal of the titular character. The film was well-received for its humor, charm, and empowering message, making it a beloved family classic with both critics and audiences. The movie received an approval rating of 91% on Rotten Tomatoes, 7/10 on IMDb, and 84/100 on Metacritic. See what critics are saying about “Matilda”:
- “Matilda is a family comedy that is enchanting with its whimsical storytelling and delightful performances. Mara Wilson’s portrayal of Matilda is endearing and genuine, and Danny DeVito’s direction captures the heart of Roald Dahl’s beloved story, making it a charming and empowering film for all ages,” says Roger Ebert from the Chicago Sun-Times.
- “Matilda is a magical and heartwarming film that celebrates the power of intelligence and imagination. DeVito’s direction and the wonderful cast, led by the talented Mara Wilson, bring Roald Dahl’s beloved characters to life, creating a charming and memorable family comedy that will enchant viewers of all ages,” says Janet Maslin from The New York Times.
Where to Watch Matilda in Canada?
“Matilda” is available on streaming services in Canada.
Is Matilda Available on Streaming?
“Matilda” is available on Netflix. To watch the movie on the platform, sign up for an account and avail of any of the following subscription plans of your choice:
|Number of Simultaneous Screens
|Basic with Ads
With a Netflix subscription, you can stream series and movies on various devices, including smartphones, smart TVs, PCs, laptops, tablets, game consoles, and web players like Chromecast and Roku. You can also download Netflix’s content to your device for when you want to stream offline.
Is Matilda Available for Rent (VOD)?
You can buy or rent “Matilda” and see enchanting magic and courage on your screen. Just a heads up, rented films are available for a limited time only.
|Google Play Store
Is Matilda Available on Cable or Free TV?
“Matilda” is not airing on any cable channels or free-to-air televisions in Canada.
Should I Use a VPN to Watch Matilda?
There is no need to use a VPN since “Matilda” is readily available to stream on Netflix in Canada.
The Magic of Childhood
Viewers can learn the magic of childhood from the film “Matilda” by witnessing the imaginative and adventurous world of the young protagonist, Matilda Wormwood, who embraces her magical powers and reminds audiences of the joy, wonder, and creativity that can be found in the innocent and curious mind of a child. Through Matilda’s whimsical journey, viewers are encouraged to tap into their inner child, embrace imagination, and find enchantment in everyday life, even amidst challenges and adversities.
You can watch “Matilda” on Netflix and VOD available in Canada.