“Poor Things” is a 2023 black comedy film by the critically acclaimed Greek filmmaker Yorgos Lanthimos. Starring Emma Stone, “Poor Things” revolves around a young Victorian woman who, after being brought back to life by a scientist following her suicide, embarks on a journey of self-discovery and sexual liberation. With Lanthimos’ signature unorthodox approach to storytelling and the film’s surreal elements, as well as its stellar cast’s electrifying performances, “Poor Things” swiftly became a huge hit among cinephiles and critics. It was hailed by the American Film Institute as one of the top 10 films of 2023 and earned seven major nominations at the upcoming Golden Globe Awards.
“Poor Things” is yet to be available on subscription-based streaming services, video-on-demand (VOD) platforms, and DVD or Blu-ray copies, since the film is still playing in theaters.
“Poor Things” will eventually stream on Hulu sometime in 2024 after its theatrical run since the platform and the film’s distributor, Searchlight Pictures, are owned by the same company — the Walt Disney Studios. Hulu is geo-restricted in Canada, so you must use a VPN to watch the movie on Hulu once it’s available for streaming.
In the meantime, you can watch “Poor Things” at local theaters near you, such as the Landmark Cinema or Cineplex.
This article will provide a comprehensive overview of the possible streaming options where you can watch “Poor Things” once it’s released on streaming platforms.
Table of Contents
“Poor Things” will likely stream on Hulu since the film’s distributor, Searchlight Pictures, is owned by the Walt Disney Studios. Moreover, there are no announcements yet as to when “Poor Things” will officially premiere on streaming.
Hulu is compatible with various devices, such as iOS and Android mobile phones, smart TVs, computers, laptops, tablets, media players like Rolu and Amazon Fire Stick, and game consoles like the Xbox series. There’s also a 30-day free trial on Hulu for new and eligible returning subscribers.
However, Hulu is geo-restricted in Canada, so you must subscribe to a VPN provider to access the platform.
How to Watch “Poor Things” On Hulu In Canada
Follow the steps below to learn how to watch “Poor Things” via Hulu in Canada once it’s finally available for streaming:
- Subscribe to a VPN service. (ExpressVPN is our #1 recommendation)
- Download and install the VPN app on your preferred device.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Open the Hulu website or app, then log in or sign up.
- Prepare a US-issued form of payment. Hulu accepts credit/debit cards (Discover, American Express, Visa, Mastercard), PayPal, and Hulu gift cards.
- Search for “Poor Things” in its library, hit play, and start streaming.
Tip: Using a VPN has plenty of other benefits besides bypassing geo-restrictions; it also masks your IP address, blocks malicious entities from tracking your online activities, ensures secure browsing on public Wi-Fi networks, and more.
While VPNs are legal in Canada, it can be difficult to unblock Hulu’s geo-restrictions on areas outside the US. Fortunately, ExpressVPN, our no. 1 VPN recommendation is proven to be a safe and effective tool for bypassing Hulu’s geo-restrictions in Canada.
On ExpressVPN, you are eligible to avail of a 30-day risk-free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee, if you click the link below:
Once “Poor Things” is released on Hulu, sign up for an account and select any of the following membership plans:
|Access to Hulu library
|Access to Disney Plus and ESPN+
|Student (with ads)
What Is Poor Things About?
“Poor Things” follows the story of Bella Baxter, a young Victorian woman who was brought back to life by the highly intelligent and eccentric scientist Dr. Godwin Baxter. Throughout the film, Bella embarks on an extraordinary and provocative odyssey to achieve enlightenment, seek genuine connections, and become her truest self.
Who Directed Poor Things?
The prolific Greek filmmaker Yorgos Lanthimos directed “Poor Things,” based on Tony McNamara’s screenplay. Lanthimos is known for his absurd and dark-humored approach to storytelling, as seen in his works like “The Killing of a Sacred Deer” and “The Favourite.” “Poor Things” is produced under Film4, Element Pictures, and TSG Entertainment.
Who Are In the Cast of Poor Things?
The cast of “Poor Things” features a heavyweight roster of Hollywood stars, such as Emma Stone (“La La Land”), Mark Ruffalo (“The Avengers”), Willem Dafoe (“Spider-Man,” “The Lighthouse”), and Margaret Qualley (“Maid”). Here’s the main cast of “Poor Things”:
- Emma Stone as Bella Baxter / Victoria Blessington
- Mark Ruffalo as Duncan Wedderburn
- Willem Dafoe as Dr. Godwin “God” Baxter
- Ramy Youssef as Max McCandles
- Christopher Abbott as Alfie Blessington
- Kathryn Hunter as Madame Swiney
- Jerrod Carmichael as Harry Astley
- Hanna Schygulla as Martha Von Kurtzroc
- Margaret Qualley as Felicity
- Vicki Pepperdine as Mrs. Prim
- Suzy Bemba as Toinette
- Tom Stourton as Steward
- Wayne Brett as Priest
Who Are the Main Characters of Poor Things?
The main characters of “Poor Things” include:
- Bella Baxter – A young woman who’s brought back to life by Dr. Godwin following her suicide. She was given the brain of an infant, making her a curious individual who’s eager to explore the world.
- Duncan Wedderburn – A wealthy lawyer who develops a fascination for Bella. He becomes Bella’s guide in exploring the most hedonistic ways of life.
- Dr. Godwin “God” Baxter – A monstrous-looking scientist who brings Bella back to life after discovering her dead body. He also serves as a kind father figure to Bella.
- Max McCandless – Dr. Godwin’s poor yet strong-willed medical student. Dr. Godwin sets him up for marriage with Bella.
Why Is Poor Things So Popular?
“Poor Things” quickly gained popularity and widespread acclaim among cinephiles for its unconventional narrative, Yorgos Lanthimos’ signature surreal flair, and its stellar cast’s award-winning performances. The film weaves together provocative themes with elements of sci-fi, comedy, drama, and romance, which effectively appeals to viewers seeking a distinct viewing experience. Yorgos Lanthimos’ involvement in the film also contributed to its popularity, drawing in dedicated fans of his previous works. Its cast’s electrifying performances, particularly Emma Stone, drew the attention of viewers and critics, with many considering it as Stone’s career-defining role and performance.
What Do Critics Say About Poor Things?
“Poor Things” resonated well with critics for Yorgos Lanthimos’ unique artistic direction, its unconventional narrative, and for Emma Stone’s outstanding performance as Bella Baxter.
“Poor Things” is Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes with an approval rating of 92%. See what critics love about the film:
- “It’s a bravura piece of physical theatre by Stone, totally committed, without a trace of vanity, progressing a little every time we see her until finally she is fully self-possessed, lithe and articulate.” — New Statesman
- “This grand buffet of a film, likely the year’s most audacious effort and certainly one of its best, comes from visionary director Yorgos Lanthimos and is his most out-there film yet.” — Detroit News
Poor Things Fans and Community
If you want to see more of Bella Baxter’s eccentric and provocative journey to liberation, then make sure to check out Alasdair Gray’s “Poor Things” novel, available for purchase on Amazon in Kindle and paperback formats.
What Awards Has Poor Things Won?
“Poor Things” won the Golden Lion, the biggest prize awarded to a film at the coveted Venice Film Festival. At the 81st Golden Globe Awards, “Poor Things” received seven nominations and won two: Best Motion Picture—Musical or Comedy—and Best Actress for Emma Stone. “Poor Things” is also among the major contenders in the upcoming Academy Awards, with 11 nominations, including Best Director, Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, and Best Cinematography.