“The Iron Claw” is a biographical sports film written and directed by Sean Durkin for A24. Released in December 2023, “The Iron Claw” retells the tragic professional and personal lives of the Von Erich brothers, a family of world-class wrestlers from Texas. With a career-defining performance from Zac Efron, an emotional portrayal of the beloved wrestling family, and its exploration of the dark underbelly of fame, addiction, and self-destruction, “The Iron Claw” quickly rose to critical acclaim and became a hit among audiences and longtime wrestling fans.
“The Iron Claw” is yet to be available on subscription-based streaming services and video-on-demand (VOD) platforms in Canada, since it’s still playing in theaters.
Viewers can anticipate “The Iron Claw” to be released for streaming on Max sometime in 2024. Max is not available in Canada, so be sure to use a VPN to access the platform.
Starting February 13, “The Iron Claw” will also be available for purchase on video-on-demand (VOD) platforms in the US, like Prime Video and Apple TV.
Meanwhile, you can also pre-order “The Iron Claw” on formats like DVD and Blu-ray, which will officially be released in Canada on March 26, 2024.
For now, you can only catch “The Iron Claw” in theaters in Canada, like the Landmark Cinemas or Cineplex Cinemas.
In this article, we will give you an overview of all the possible options where you can watch “The Iron Claw” once it’s available on streaming platforms.
Table of Contents
“The Iron Claw” will be streaming on Max later this year, 2024, due to a deal between A24, the film’s distributor, and Warner Bros. Discovery, to bring all of the independent film company’s movies onto the platform.
Max supports devices like iOS and Android phones, smart TVs, computers, web browsers, media players, and game consoles like the Xbox series and the Sony PlayStation. You can only avail of Max’s free trial if you subscribe to it as an add-on on Prime Video and Hulu.
Max is only available in the US and select European regions, so you must use a VPN to access the platform in Canada.
How to Watch “The Iron Claw” On Max In Canada
Once “The Iron Claw” is streaming on Max, simply follow the steps below to learn how you can watch it via Max in Canada.
- Subscribe to a VPN service. (ExpressVPN is our #1 recommendation)
- Download and install the VPN app on your preferred device.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Open the Max website or app, then sign up for an account.
- Prepare a US-issued form of payment. Max accepts credit/debit cards (Discover, Visa, Mastercard, American Express) and PayPal.
- Search for “The Iron Claw” in its library, hit play, and start streaming.
Tip: With a VPN, you don’t just get to bypass geo-restrictions; it can also mask your IP address by encrypting your data, blocking malicious entities from tracking your online activities, and ensuring a private browsing session when connected to public Wi-Fi networks.
Although using a VPN in Canada is legal, Max is known to actively block IP addresses that are connected to VPNs. Fortunately, ExpressVPN, our no. 1 VPN recommendation, has proven to be a secure and proficient tool for streaming and bypassing Max’s geo-restrictions in Canada.
With ExpressVPN, you are automatically eligible to avail of a 30-day risk-free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee if you click the link below:
Once “The Iron Claw” is released on Max, you can stream it by signing up for an account and subscribing to any of the following plans below:
|Number of downloads
|HD to 4K
2. Apple TV
On February 13, “The Iron Claw” will be available for purchase on Apple TV US for $19.99. The movie will stream in 4K with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision with Closed Captions (CC) and Audio Descriptions (AD) in English and Spanish. Be sure to subscribe to a VPN to access the platform.
3. Prime Video
Like on Apple TV, you can also buy “The Iron Claw” movie on Prime Video US starting February 13. The movie costs $19.99 and streams in UHD with no subtitles. Since it is only available on Prime Video’s US edition for now, make sure to also use a VPN when accessing the platform.
What Is The Best Streaming Option to Watch The Iron Claw in Canada?
Once “The Iron Claw” is released on streaming services, the best streaming option to watch the film is through a subscription-based platform – in this case, Max. With platforms like Max, your CAD$9.99 to CAD$19.99 monthly plan provides unlimited access to plenty of other TV shows and movies besides “The Iron Claw,” making it a more cost-effective streaming solution, especially for users on a budget.
Buying the film digitally on VOD would cost as much as a monthly subscription on Max, and you only get to enjoy one film. Additionally, buying films individually can fill up too much space on your device’s storage, whereas streaming on subscription-based models only requires a decent Internet connection. This is ideal for users who don’t have the luxury of paying for more storage.
What Is The Iron Claw About?
“The Iron Claw” is a biographical sports drama that chronicles the tragedy and triumph of the lives of the legendary Von Erich brothers — Kevin, Kerry, and David. Based on real-life events, the film exposes the complexities of fame, family dynamics, and the insanely competitive world of professional wrestling, as well as the devastating losses and tragedies that were inflicted upon the Von Erich family.
Who Directed The Iron Claw?
The Canadian-American filmmaker Sean Durkin wrote and directed “The Iron Claw.” He also co-produced it with Tessa Ross, Juliette Howell, Angus Lamont, and Derrin Schlesinger. A24, a popular independent film distribution and production company, serves as the film’s distributor. Some of the most popular films and TV shows under A24 include “Euphoria,” “Priscilla,” “Past Lives,” “Beef,” “Everything Everywhere All at Once,” “Midsommar,” and more.
Who Are in the Cast of The Iron Claw?
The cast of “The Iron Claw” boasts an ensemble of talented and popular Hollywood actors, including Zac Efron (“High School Musical”), Jeremy Allen White (“The Bear,” “Shameless”), Harris Dickinson (“Triangle of Sadness”), and Holt McCallany (“Mindhunter”). Here’s the cast of “The Iron Claw”:
- Zac Efron as Kevin Von Erich
- Jeremy Allen White as Kerry Von Erich
- Harris Dickinson as David Von Erich
- Maura Tierney as Doris Von Erich
- Stanley Simons as Mike Von Erich
- Holt McCallany as Fritz Von Erich
- Lily James as Pam Adkisson
- Michael J. Harney as Bill Mercer
- Maxwell Jacob Friedman as Lance Von Erich
- Brady Pierce as Michael Hayes
- Aaron Dean Eisenberg as Ric Flair
- Kevin Anton as Harley Race
- Cazzey Louis Cereghino as Bruiser Brody
- Chavo Guerrero Jr. as Edward “The Sheik” Farhat
- Ryan Nemeth as Gino Hernandez
Who Are the Main Characters of The Iron Claw?
The main characters of “The Iron Claw” are based on the real-life Von Erich family. Know more about them below:
- Kevin Von Erich – Also known as “The Golden Warrior,” Kevin is the second oldest son and the sole survivor of the Von Erich brothers.
- Kerry Von Erich – The fourth Von Erich brother who went on to become the star wrestler of the family.
- David Von Erich – The third oldest son who met an unfortunate fate during a wrestling tour in Japan.
- Mike Von Erich – The second youngest brother who has a penchant for music but reluctantly enters the field of wrestling for his father and brothers.
- Fritz Von Erich / Jack Adkisson – The patriarch of the Von Erich family and also had a fantastic career in wrestling.
- Doris Von Erich – Jack’s wife attempting to adjust to the public eye due to her son and husband’s extreme popularity.
Why Is The Iron Claw So Popular?
“The Iron Claw” gained widespread popularity as it appealed to devoted fans of wrestling and the Von Erich family, who were longing to see a portrayal of the lives of the legendary wrestling clan. The film’s star-studded cast, which included powerful and emotional performances from Zac Efron, Jeremy Allen White, and Harris Dickinson, drew attention from their dedicated followers, further fueling the hype surrounding the film.
What Do Critics Say About The Iron Claw?
“The Iron Claw” received overwhelmingly positive reviews from critics. It was praised for its emotional depth and Zac Efron’s compelling and dramatic performance as Kevin Von Erich. The film was also named one of the top 10 films of 2023 by the National Board Review.
“The Iron Claw” holds an overall approval rating of 88% on Rotten Tomatoes. See why critics love the film:
- “It’s Efron’s sensitive performance and his transformation into an intimidating physical presence that you can’t help but gawk at in astonishment, all while it breaks you apart.” — San Jose Mercury News
- “It’s a messy movie about messy lives, occasionally in ways you wish it wasn’t. But The Iron Claw is also a story of redemption… That’s partially why Efron’s performance is the one that sticks with you.” — Rolling Stone
Where to Buy The Iron Claw Merch in Canada?
On A24’s online shop, wrestling fans can purchase a limited edition “The Iron Claw” foam hand and an exclusive zine about the Von Erichs. The A24 store ships in Canada.