“The Keepers” investigates the systemic consequences of a particular case, including its repercussions in the community, the Catholic Church, and the prevalence of abuse complaints inside faith-based institutions.
Find out where to watch “The Keepers” and experience its thought-provoking theme that aims to shed light on a decades-old mystery while addressing larger themes of power, corruption, and the pursuit of truth.
Table of Contents
What Is The Keepers About?
“The Keepers” investigates the events that led up to the death of Sister Cathy, probing allegations of sexual abuse that took place at a high school. The primary focus of the series is on two alumni of Archbishop Keough High School — Gemma Hoskins and Abbie Schaub — who have devoted their lives to learning the facts surrounding Sister Cathy’s passing and the suspected cover-up that followed.
The documentary goes into the experiences of the students who allege that they were assaulted by a priest, Father Joseph Maskell, and the subsequent efforts taken by the Catholic Church and local authorities to hide the allegations against Father Joseph Maskell. In addition to this, it shines a light on the courageous survivors who come forward to tell their tales and seek justice.
It was first released on Netflix in May 2017.
Who Are in the Cast and Production of The Keepers?
American filmmaker Ryan White created “The Keepers.” He served as the director and executive producer of the series. The cast members of “The Keepers” primarily consist of individuals directly involved in the events surrounding the murder of Sister Cathy and the subsequent investigation. Film 45 and Tripod Media worked together to produce the documentary, while Netflix distributed the web series on its platform. Here are the notable people featured in “The Keepers”:
- Gemma Hoskins is a former student of Archbishop Keough High School and one of the main investigators in the case.
- Abbie Schaub is another former student of Archbishop Keough High School who joins Gemma in investigating the murder and abuse allegations.
- Jean Hargadon Wehner is a survivor of abuse at the school who comes forward with her story and provides crucial information about the case.
- Tom Nugent is a journalist who has extensively covered the case and the allegations of abuse
- Teresa Lancaster is a childhood friend of Sister Cathy who shares her memories of her and provides insights into her character
What is the Rating for The Keepers?
“The Keepers” is rated TV-MA in Canada, which means that the show is appropriate for mature audiences only due to mild to moderate depictions of language, nudity, and sexual content.
How Many People Watch The Keepers?
There are no concrete statistics on how many people watched the documentary series but it received widespread coverage in the media and was a hot topic of conversation across many internet communities. The stories about the need for justice for the victims — which were told in an emotive way — moved audiences.
How Are The Reviews for The Keepers?
“The Keepers” have received favorable reviews from critics for its meticulous investigation, sympathetic portrayal of victims, and clarity on a troubling topic. It has been lauded for the role it has played in bringing attention to the issue of institutional abuse and the necessity of pursuing redress. The series scored 97% on Rotten Tomatoes, 78/100 on Metacritic, and 8.2/10 on IMDb. See what critics say about “The Keepers”:
- “The Keepers is an addictive serial made for the ‘post-serial’ market. White’s narrative is a nesting doll of colorful characters giving way to more colorful characters–stories inside stories, mysteries within mysteries,” says Jeff Jenses of The Entertainment.
- “The Keepers is much more sophisticated and well-researched offering several different probabilities throughout its seven episodes as to what happened to Sister Cathy. It also aims to solve a murder rather than set a convicted murderer free. It’s executed with empathy, but not to the point where The Keepers lets a foregone conclusion drive the narrative,” says Lorraine Ali of The New York Times.
Where To Watch The Keepers?
You can watch “The Keepers” on streaming services in Canada.
Is The Keepers Available on Streaming?
“The Keepers” is exclusively available on Netflix. To watch the show on the platform, sign up for an account and avail of any of the following subscription plans of your choice:
|Number Of Simultaneous Screens
|Basic with ads
With a Netflix subscription, you can stream series and movies on various devices, including smartphones, smart TVs, PCs, laptops, tablets, game consoles, and web players like Chromecast and Roku. You can also download Netflix’s content to your device for when you want to stream offline.
Is The Keepers on VOD?
“The Keepers” is not available on any video-on-demand services in Canada.
Is The Keepers on Cable or Free TV?
“The Keepers” does not air on cable channels or free-to-air televisions in Canada.
Should I Use a VPN to Watch “The Keepers”?
There is no need to use a VPN service since “The Keepers” is readily available on Netflix Canada.
Healing and Closure
Although the case has not been solved, the documentary has given victims a safe space to talk about their experiences and receive support from others. It stresses the need to pay tribute to and stand by abuse victims. “The Keepers” educates its viewers on the nuances of the case surrounding Sister Cathy’s death, the institutional abuse, and the ongoing quest for justice.
You can watch all episodes of “The Keepers” on Netflix Canada.