Disclosure: Tech Daily is reader-supported. If you click-through, make a purchase or sign up for a service through our links, we may earn a commission or fee (at no cost to you). Learn more.
Is Zelle available in Canada?
Unfortunately, Zelle is not available in Canada.
Participating customers must have US based bank accounts and phone numbers.
Zelle Alternatives for Canadians
Canada to US + International or International + US to Canada
Exclusive Offer: Free Transfer Up To $800 CAD
If you are interested in sending money internationally to or from Canada, we recommend using Wise.
Wise also works in the same simple manner if you’re looking to send funds from the US to someone in Canada.
They are one of the most well-known international money transfer platforms, and have a track record of charging low fees and processing international transfers quickly.
Canada to Canada money transfer
Current Promo: $25 Bonus Cash
If you’re based in Canada and looking to send money to a fellow Canadian, the Wealthsimple Cash App is probably the best option in terms of cost, security, and transfer speed.
The app allows you to send money to your friends and family in a matter of seconds, for free.
If you’re a new Wealthsimple Cash user, you can instantly fund your account with up to $500 per deposit using your Visa Debit card.
Moreover, all of your information is encrypted using state of the art technology along with additional features such as two-factor authentication.
If you’re an existing Wealthsimple Trade user, then you’ll notice that the Wealthsimple Cash app has a very familiar experience.
When will Zelle be coming to Canada?
Zelle probably won’t be coming to Canada anytime soon because Canadians have the eTrasnfer service which was created by Interac, which is a cooperative with major Canadian financial institutions.
Canadian fintech company Wealthsimple has also recently launched their own money transfer platform for Canadians, so it’s going to be challenging for a competitor like Zelle to gain a footing in the Canadian market.
Combined with Canadian banking laws and a smaller market size, entering the Canadian market may not be very appealing for Zelle.
What Is Zelle?
Zelle is a US payment services company that was initially launched in 2011 by JPMorgan, Bank of America, and Wells Fargo, under the name “clearXchange.”
The company was looking to take advantage of growth in the digital payment space as customers were beginning to shift away from traditional payment methods such as cash and cheques.
ClearXchange facilitated three types of transactions: person-to-person (P2P), government-to-consumer (G2C), and business-to-consumer (B2C), allowing customers to easily send money to other users who had a bank account with one of the institutional partners.
In 2016, Early Warning Services, a fraud management company owned by several banks, acquired clearXchange and rebranded it as Zelle in 2017.
Why do people LOVE Zelle?
Zelle has an extensive network of financial institutions across the US and is backed by some of the largest banks in America such as Capital One, Wells Fargo, and US Bank.
This is beneficial because it makes the app more credible and reliable.
In addition, the diverse network of partners allows users more flexibility when it comes to sending money to friends and family across the country.
Additionally, Zelle transfers money nearly instantly, and it is one of the only payment transfer options (along with Venmo) that does not charge a transaction fee.
Can I send money to Canada with Zelle?
- You cannot send money to Canada with Zelle as Canadian residents are not eligible to sign up for Zelle accounts.
How do you get Zelle in Canada?
- You cannot get Zelle in Canada as they require you to have a US based bank account.
Does TD Canada have Zelle?
- No, TD Canada does not have Zelle, no Canadian banks have Zelle. A list of supporting banks is here.
How can I send money to Canada for free from USA?
- There is no free way to send money from Canada to USA, however Wise has some of the lowest rates in the industry for money transfer.
How does GooglePay work in Canada?
- Google Pay is available in Canada, and works similarly to how it works in other countries. To add a credit or debit card to Google Pay, open the Google Pay app and tap on the + icon at the bottom of the screen. Then, follow the on-screen instructions to enter your card information. Once your card is added, you can use Google Pay to pay for things in stores, online, and within apps.
What Canadian banks use Google Pay?
- All of Canada’s big five banks now support Google Pay, which means you can use your Android phone to make quick and easy payments at checkout.Bank of Montreal, CIBC, Scotiabank, National Bank, and Desjardins are all on board with Google Pay, so you can use it wherever these banks’ contactless terminals are accepted.President’s Choice Financial also supports Google Pay, so you can use it anywhere Mastercard is accepted.ATB Financial is the only major Canadian bank that doesn’t yet support Google Pay, but there’s no word on when or if that will change.
How does Apple Pay work in Canada?
- Apple Pay is a mobile payment and digital wallet service by Apple Inc. that allows users to make payments using an iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad or Mac. Apple Pay works with credit cards and debit cards from participating banks. When you add a card to Apple Pay, the card number is not stored on the device, nor on Apple’s servers. Instead, a unique Device Account Number is created, encrypted and stored in the Secure Element on your device.To pay with your iPhone or Apple Watch, just hold it near the contactless reader with your finger on Touch ID. For iPad and Mac, just select the Apple Pay option at checkout. Your card number is never shared with the merchant and your transactions are protected by Touch ID or your device passcode.
Where is Samsung Pay accepted in Canada?
- Samsung Pay is accepted in Canada by the following banks: Bank of Montreal, CIBC, Desjardins, National Bank, Royal Bank of Canada, and Scotiabank. Samsung Pay works with the latest Samsung Galaxy smartphones and the Gear S3 smartwatch. In addition to the six major Canadian banks, Samsung Pay is also accepted by some of the country’s leading retailers, including Walmart, The Bay, Hudson’s Bay Company, Toys R Us, and more.
Does Walmart Canada accept Google Pay?
- Walmart Canada accepts Google Pay as a form of payment in-store. You can add your Walmart Canada card to Google Pay and use it to pay for in-store purchases. To add your card, open the Google Pay app and tap ‘add a card’. Then, enter your card information and follow the instructions. When you’re ready to pay, hold your phone near the contactless reader at checkout and wait for the beep or vibration.
Does Paytm work in Canada?
- Paytm, a digital payments company, announced that it would be shutting down its services in Canada. This announcement comes just a few months after the company said it was expanding into the country. Paytm did not give a reason for the shutdown, but it is possible that the company was not able to compete with other digital payment options in Canada.